Friday, December 18, 2015

Redemption



We have been home for one month now with LillyAnn and Levi.  I have wanted to update for a long time, but have not found the time to do it.  Imagine that!  I kept thinking that I cannot let what's on my heart and mind slip by without sharing God's goodness.

It has been a whirlwind of a month.  We're learning what routines work.  We are diligently working through behaviors, fears and attaching to our children.  Each of our family members is building trust with these two new permanent residents of the Sellers household.  A lot of our day is very intentional from routine to touch to language.

Over the weeks since we scooped up LillyAnn and Levi in our arms, we've seen so much fear and insecurity.  We've seen signs of possible abuse in their past.  We've watched them hoard food and cry when we're done eating because they've probably spent many days with hungry tummies.  We see them scoot and scurry to get to us anytime one of us grabs our shoes or coat.  They think we are going to leave them.  It's heartbreaking.

BUT GOD....


 God is redeeming their sweet little lives.  I looked up the definition for redemption.  One read "rescue or deliverance."  God is daily rescuing them from their fear and feelings of being unloved.  Their eyes seem to get brighter every day and their smiles more and more frequent.  It is beautiful.

Levi has joined the family with no reservation.  It has been fun to see that he realizes that we love him.  He loves to come up and give (and get) hugs.  He loves to rough house with Matt.  He makes the sweetest giddy sound, grins from ear to ear and his eyes disappear when he likes what we're doing.  He is a sponge.  He has mastered several signs already that we use and he's initiating them when he wants something rather than always mimicking.  Matt and I have said on a number of occasions "what if" we had ignored God's tug at our hearts for Levi.  We had originally said "yes" to LillyAnn and found out about Levi a month into the process.  We took a several weeks and prayed and prayed over his file.  God, are you sure this is what you're saying?  I cannot imagine not having him.  He is so much fun and I can't wait to see how God uses him.

LillyAnn was reserved from our introduction.  She quickly attached to me and didn't want anything to do with Matt or the boys.  She slowly warmed up to Matt and now, she loves her Daddy.  She doesn't want to be too far from me.  She is very timid with other people.  As people have come to our home, a slight panic sets in and she wants to be with me.  She, too, has already mastered "please, more" and "all done" in sign language!  She is doing great.

We have been going to a number of appointments.  As soon as we returned from China, we had our pediatrician look them over to make sure there weren't any immediate concerns.  Other than being under weight, they seem healthy.  We're concerned that both LillyAnn and Levi have trouble seeing.  We have eye appointments for both of them this week. Levi will have a front tooth pulled right after Christmas.  It was broken and obviously causing him pain.  We also have cardiology appointments set up for both of them.  They both had heart surgery in Beijing, China to repair their hearts.  We'll have them checked out here to make sure their hearts are healthy.  It will also give us a chance to learn about their condition and see what the future will look like for their hearts.

We are doing really well.  I can't say enough about how thankful we are for all the support we've received from so many.  We are excited to see what the future holds for all of our children.  Sometimes I think about "what could have been" for Endale, LillyAnn and Levi.  It breaks my heart to let my mind go too far.  There is talk in the adoption community that it's easy to forget about the orphans of the world until you see their face.  Then, they become more than a number.  They're a living, human being created by God for God.  I cannot imagine life without them.  I wonder what their futures will be like.  I wonder will they ever truly understand who God is and what Jesus did for them.  My prayer is that we can show them the Father's love in our family.  Chris Tomlin's recent song, "Good, Good Father" says it beautifully:

You're a good, good Father
It's who You are, it's who You are, it's who You are
And I'm loved by You
It's who I am, it's who I am, it's who I am

That is it.  Each of us, every one of our children are labeled by one thing:
YOU ARE LOVED BY GOD.
IT'S WHO YOU ARE.






1 comment:

  1. This is just beautiful. Reminds me alot of my two beautiful kids I adopted as toddlers from Russia. They are about to be 17! God is so good!

    ReplyDelete